2018 Winners of Captive Risk Achievement Award
Berkley Accident and Health Announces 2018 Winners of Captive Risk Achievement Award
Recognizing outstanding health risk management among Stop Loss Group Captive members
June 20, 2018 – Hamilton Square, New Jersey – Berkley Accident and Health, a Berkley Company®, is proud to announce the winners of the 2018 Risk Achievement of the Year (RAY) Award. The RAY Award winners were announced at the 2018 Berkley Captive Symposium held recently at the Westin Grand Cayman.
The RAY Award recognizes Group Captive members who have shown exceptional dedication to health risk management in the previous year. Nominees must demonstrate a strong commitment to employee health and wellness, adopt programs that help lower health risk factors, and show measurable results. Above all, winning companies seek to promote a culture of health and secure optimal outcomes for employees and their families.
“Captive members are employers who self-fund their employee health benefits. Rather than buy traditional health insurance, they self-fund with stop loss protection and then join together to share risk through a group captive arrangement,” said Christopher Brown, President and CEO, Berkley Accident and Health. “As a result of this, there is a strong incentive to maintain a healthy workforce and encourage employee wellness.”
The 2018 winners are:
- Tek Pak Inc. – This Chicago manufacturer specializing in precision thermoform solutions, began their first wellness initiative in 2014. Since then, their efforts have helped employees make the connection that improving their health provides them with physical, mental/emotional, and monetary benefits. Tek Pak offers on-site biometric screenings, telemedicine, financial rewards, and other initiatives that have helped employees benefit from improved health. Several Tek Pak employees with previously undiagnosed diabetes, hypertension, and thyroid conditions are now being treated, and other employees and dependents have quit smoking and been smoke-free for years.
- Regional International Corp. – This network of commercial truck dealerships operating in the northeast has a strong commitment to employee wellness. The company offers yearly health screenings to employees and spouses, as well as a free onsite flu clinic, walking challenges, and hydration challenges. Employees can lower their health premiums if they complete a biometric health screening, get an annual physical, and earn a passing score cotinine test. Biometric screenings have helped employees and dependents improve their BMI, blood pressure, cholesterol levels, and glucose levels, resulting in savings to the plan and employees.
- Bryan Materials Group – This concrete, aggregate, and precast company in the northeast is more than 130 years old, but despite its age, Bryan Materials Group is forward-thinking in its approach to employee health. Employees can enjoy a zero or low-deductible health plan when they complete biometric screenings and health risk assessments. Bryan Materials also offers annual onsite flu shots and implemented an innovative prescription plan that lowered brand-name drug costs by 25% in 2017.
The 2018 honorable mentions were:
- Mid South Transport – An honorable mention goes to Mid South Transport of Tennessee, a transportation, warehousing, and logistics company. Mid South has embraced transparency in health care costs that have led to improved patient health and lower costs. Three years ago, they implemented an innovative plan design that allows employees to travel to a surgical center of excellence known for optimal outcomes and transparent pricing. Last year, Mid South added a telemedicine option that has been very successful and popular with employees, allowing them to save time and money.
- Mazza Mechanical Services – An honorable mention goes to Mazza Mechanical Services, a full service commercial HVAC mechanical contractor serving education, healthcare, and commercial customers in NY and PA. Mazza believes that one’s overall health and wellness has a direct impact on one’s ability to perform their job safely. In fact, Mazza has gone an amazing 1,400+ days without a lost-time accident. Mazza’s employees enjoy biometric health screenings, walking challenges, and other initiatives that are leading to great success in employee health and well-being.
- Idaho State University (ISU) Credit Union – This member-owned, not-for-profit credit union provides financial products and services to members around the world. ISU Credit Union implemented a robust wellness campaign for their employees that focused on fitness and healthy eating. Employees received a new Apple Watch for fitness tracking and $300 each year toward a gym membership or home exercise equipment. They also sponsored a 12-week healthy eating challenge with cash prizes that was very successful.
About Berkley Accident and Health
Berkley Accident and Health is a member company of W. R. Berkley Corporation, a Fortune 500 company. Berkley Accident and Health provides an innovative portfolio of accident and health insurance products. It offers four categories of products: Employer Stop Loss, Group Captive, Managed Care (including HMO Reinsurance and Provider Excess), and Specialty Accident. The company underwrites Stop Loss coverage through Berkley Life and Health Insurance Company, rated A+ (Superior) by A.M. Best.
Berkley Accident and Health
2445 Kuser Road, Suite 201
Hamilton Square, NJ 08690