2017 Winners of Captive Risk Achievement Award
Berkley Accident and Health Announces 2017 Winners of Captive Risk Achievement Award
Awards honor outstanding achievement in health risk management among captive members
May 24, 2017 – Hamilton Square, New Jersey – Berkley Accident and Health, a Berkley Company, is proud to announce the winners of the 2017 Risk Achievement of the Year (RAY) Award. The RAY Award recognizes Captive insurance members who exemplify best practices in their health risk management and exceptional commitment to their employees’ health and well-being.
Winners of the RAY Award are employers who self-fund their employee health benefits. Rather than purchase traditional health insurance, the employers self-fund, purchase Stop Loss insurance, and join together to share risk through a captive arrangement under the EmCap® program. As a result of this, there is a strong incentive to maintain a healthy workforce and encourage employee wellness.
Winners were presented with a Risk Achievement of the Year Award at the 7th annual Berkley Captive Symposium held April 23-26, 2017 in Grand Cayman..
The RAY Award honors Berkley Accident and Health’s EmCap members who demonstrate excellence in health risk management and have adopted innovative programs that help to lower health risk factors. Above all, winning companies display an outstanding commitment and care toward their employees.
- The 2017 winners were:
- Lehigh Construction Group – Lehigh Construction Group offers its wellness program to both employees and their spouses, with the understanding that one’s work life and home life can impact each other. Spouses are included in biometric tests, incentives, wellness challenges, newsletters, flu shots, and gym membership reimbursement. These efforts have contributed to keeping their health care costs down. Lehigh Construction Group’s total medical and pharmacy costs in the last five years have increased an average of 5% per year – a rate far lower than national trend.
- Saval Foods – Saval Foods stands out for having reported savings of $1.5 million since joining the program. The company includes employees and their spouses in its wellness program, in addition to holding an annual health fair. For several years, Saval Foods has made a strong commitment to the health and well-being of their employees.
- Reference Based Retailer – A Midwest retailer in the Reference Based EmCap Program, gives back to its employees to encourage support of the program. As a pioneer in using reference based facility reimbursements, the road has not been easy for the company or its plan participants. Nevertheless, since the approach has been successful in conserving costs the company has reduced employee cost sharing, and even added new benefits. In addition to keeping employee premium contributions flat for the past 5+ years, the company has been able to reduce copayments and deductibles. After analyzing its employees’ overall health data, this retailer identified health risks which would benefit from bariatric surgery and added coverage for the procedures.
The 2017 honorable mentions were:
- Reid Companies – An honorable mention went to this nominee, which stands out for its year-long wellness programming, engagement with both employees and spouses, and for achieving an 82% biometric screening rate, and 92% annual primary care visits. Additionally, a remarkable 92% of the company’s employees earn the maximum incentive offered under the health plan.
- Johnson Price Sprinkle PA – An honorable mention also went to Johnson Price Sprinkle PA for incorporating health and wellness into its core values. The company offers programs focused on nutrition, physical activity, and overall health, such as: discounted gym memberships for employees and their families, free on-site massage therapy, as well as free Fit Bits for participants of the biometric screenings. Their voluntary biometric screenings helped to identify several employees who unknowingly had high blood pressure and inspired several employees to team up for successful weight-loss efforts.
About Berkley Accident and Health
Berkley Accident and Health is a member company of W. R. Berkley Corporation, a Fortune 500 company. Berkley Accident and Health provides an innovative portfolio of accident and health insurance products. It offers four categories of products: Employer Stop Loss, Group Captive, Managed Care (including HMO Reinsurance and Provider Excess), and Specialty Accident. The company underwrites Stop Loss coverage through Berkley Life and Health Insurance Company, rated A+ (Superior) by A.M. Best.
Berkley Accident and Health
2445 Kuser Road, Suite 201
Hamilton Square, NJ 08690